[one_half]Director:- Alhaji Babagana Wakil
The following events are registered under the compulsory VR Act:
- Still births
- Migration (Internal & International)
- The registration of vital events in Nigeria is currently both universal and compulsory.
- It is backed by Acts 39 of 1979 and Act 69 of 1992 as well as re-enforced by section23 of 3rd schedule of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- It is to continually update the outcome of Census exercises for real time accuracy
The current coverage of VR is both laughable and unacceptable with the following coverage benchmarks:
- Birth registration 38%
- Death registration <10%
- Still birth <1%
- Marriages Yet to commence
- Divorces Yet to commence
- International Migration
Statistics last published in 1991
- Internal Migration survey Report in process (First edition)
- We have total no. of 2,951 registration centres (RCs) manned by Registrars nationwide with an average of 3 centres per LGA.
- Out of the above total, 451 are ad-hoc registrars who are paid from our capital votes and are now for obvious reasons owed their allowances.
- The RCs lack either office accommodation, furniture or both.
- The last capacity building for field functionaries was in 2005
- Registration Instruments are perpetually inadequate.
- Revenue Leakages
- Lack of adequate collaboration with Nigeria Immigration Services for proper capture of data at the border.
Intensify linkage and collaboration with all stakeholders for purposes of:
- funding- a sector wide approach to funding will be institutionalised-state/LGA, Unicef, World Bank, EDF, UNFPA etc.
- political thrust-State/LGA
- capacity building- NPHCDA for IPDs & MSS, NIMC, NIS etc
- Communication/Collaborative social mobilization –traditional rulers, religious leaders, FBOs, Media, Civil society, NOA and other MDAs
- Achieving timeliness, accuracy and completeness in Vital statistics.
- Production of prioritised, costed and operationalized annual business plans that responsibilise staff of VRD. This will be subject to quarterly performance review that will be accompanied with motivation/Sanctions
- Amendment of the constitution/VR Act to achieve enabling legal environment
- Enthronement of robust monitoring and evaluation framework for measurement of outcomes